Higher education institutions and research centers are focusing more on scientific research due to its impartiality and objectivity, its knowledge sharing for the developmental process of the society, its intellectual moderation and awareness maturity, and its impact on ensuring balanced and steadily developing societies. The vision of the Deanship of Scientific Research encompasses to work diligently in order to initiate and develop such research programs that make the best use of the research competencies of the staff of Prince Sattam Bin Abdulaziz University. The research process is a time, effort and attention taking job in order to succeed in authoring, translating, patenting and winning the research awards. Given the fact that TIME is a key in research excellence, a new program (Researchers' Motivation Program -Time) is in place that aims to provide with sufficient time to faculty members to focus on their research outcomes.
The program idea is to creating a balance between the teaching load and research outcomes of the faculty members. All faculty members are required to carry on minimum teaching load as specified in the regulations of the University/Ministry of Higher Education besides performing research activities. Resultantly, teaching and students work priority carries away time and energies of the faculty members due to which research work gets aside. So, this program seeks to establish a mechanism to convert overall research performance of a faculty member into equivalent of a part of teaching load which will not exceed to one’s 50% teaching load. And, there will be no material cost to the researchers.
To reward the researchers about the research work, following anyone achievement will be taken as equivalents to 3-credit hours in two semesters of the teaching load.
- Publication of a book (collection of one research unit by writing / translating books).
- Translation of a book (collection of one research unit through translation / authoring books).
- Publishing a classified research unit (Scopus / WOS).
- Publication of two research units for Arabic Language publications as applicable in the promotion regulations of scientific council for research.
- Registering a patent (in accordance with the approved regulations of the University Award for Research Excellence).
- Awards (according to the approved regulations of the University Award for Research Excellence).
A standing committee shall be established at the Deanship of Scientific Research to examine the applications under this program. The recommendations of the committee shall be approved by the Deanship of Scientific Research Council. Subsequently a request will be made to the Vice Rector for Academic Affairs to ratify and reduce the teaching load of the approved faculty members.
- This program will be applicable from 1-1-2018 and will qualify only that research work which is published on or after this date.
- This program applies all elements of the promotion criteria which are calculated either half or full research units, when applying for the promotion.
- The point will be calculated half research unit if in research publication (Scopus/WOS), the applicant is the corresponding author.
- The collection of units required to receive award must be within one Georgian year for all scientific achievements and, within 18 months for the research publication work for Arabic Language publications as applicable in the promotion regulations of scientific council for research.
- This program entertains principal investigator for registration of a patent or receipt of international award outside the university.
- The benefit obtained under this program can’t be combined with the financial claim of teaching load.