Scientific research is one of the three main pillars of the universities through which emerging projects are established and competencies level rise. Therefore, universities and scientific research centers generally strive to raise their research standards, deepen their concept of quality and ensure the integrity of their methodology of originality, quality and innovation. The strategic plan of Prince Sattam Bin Abdulaziz University envisions research output publications in internationally recognized journals in order to create local and global visibility of the researchers as well as the university.
Prince Sattam bin Abdulaziz University in line with the vision and mission encourages research excellence and awards outstanding students. In order to achieve what is stated in Article 3 of the Scientific Research Rules for the Saudi Universities, it motivates researchers from faculty and students to conduct original and innovative research.
The Deanship of Scientific Research decides to promulgate rules that will regulate the awards to faculty members and non-Saudi researchers who have accomplished outstanding scientific research and published their research output in international journals listed Web of Science and are not included for research excellence award approved in the decision of Council of Ministers No. 295 dated 1/9/1429 H.
Article 1: Objectives
1. Developing and improving the quality of scientific research in the university.
2. Encouraging and awarding outstanding researchers at the university.
3. Guiding for attainment of quality outputs from scientific research.
4. Transforming publication for internationally reputed journal.
5. Strengthening research status of the university through achieving global knowledge dissemination.
6. Providing a positive and attractive scientific environment for distinguished academics in the university.
7 - Raising awareness among university employees about scientific research excellence.
Article 2: General Conditions:
- The rules shall apply to the employees of Prince Sattam bin Abdul Aziz University from faculty members and non-Saudi researchers who are not covered by the rules of research excellence award approved by the Council of Ministers No. 295 dated 1/9/1429 H.
- The award shall be granted to the research published after the date of approval of these rules.
- The applicant must be on the job at the university when the application is submitted.
- The published research submitted for award must be approved by Departmental Council and College Council to which the applicant belongs.
- It is necessary to have Prince Sattam Bin Abdulaziz University name in affiliation/address of the applicant. It is not enough to mention the name of the university with the current title of the author.
- Publication will not be considered for award until it appears in Web of Science with correct affiliation to the university name.
- The accepted research must be an article (Article type) according to Web of Science.
- The researcher may apply for more than one research per year.
- The researcher may apply for the award of one or more research publication resulted from a supported research project provided that such research publication is in excess of the publications required in that project.
- The researcher must apply on the prescribed form as annexed herewith.
- These rules shall be reviewed after two years of adoption if deemed necessary.
Article 3: Regulations to grant research excellence award
1. The award for research published in a scientific journal is characterized according to the Journal Impact Factor as listed in Web of Science.
2. Research in applied sciences must be published in journal listed in Science Citation Expanded Database Index (Web of Science) and, humanities and social sciences research must be in journal listed in Social Science Citation Index database (Web of Science).
3. In accordance with paragraphs 1 and 2 above, each journal is classified in to web of science ranking in terms of its coefficient of influence and accordingly these are divided into following four categories;
Category (A): Includes the best (10%) of the journals in a particular specialization.
Category (B): Represents next (10%) of journal in the same specialization from which category A journals selected.
Category (C): Represents next (30%) of journals following the category B journals in the same specialization.
Category (D): This category includes the rest of the journals listed in the same specialization.
Article 4: The Value of the Award
1 - The award is applicable to the non-Saudi employees of the university.
2. If more than one researcher participates in the published research entitled for the award, the amount shall be divided equally between them.
3. The remuneration payable for the published research shall be divided according to the following schedule:
a. Publication in Category A Journals: SR 20,000/-
b. Publication in Category B Journals: SR 15,000/-
c. Publication in Category C Journals: SR 10,000/-
d. Publication in Category D Journals: SR 5,000/-
Note: If a journal belongs to more than one specialization, then higher rank of the journal will be taken for the award.
Article 4: The Award Committee
- The Deanship of Scientific Research shall constitute a permanent committee to evaluate research excellence awards for non-Saudi faculty members.
- The committee shall consist of: Dean and Vice Deans of Scientific Research Deanship, distinguished faculty members from various disciplines
- The Committee shall perform the following functions:
A) To evaluate that the applications for award have approvals from the respective department and college, and are in accordance with the applicable regulations.
B) Recommend and submit appropriate award amount for each publication entitled for reward to Deanship Scientific Research Council for approval.